From the history of the Association
The Association’s logo tells the main points of the story: it was established in 1954, but geophysics in Hungary is much older; the great Hungarian physicist, Loránd Eötvös, carried out the first measurements with his torsion balance – shown in the logo – in 1891. Earth sciences have an even longer and distinguished tradition in Hungary. The first isoseismal map in the world was constructed by the Hungarian polymath, Pál Kitaibel, in 1814. The Geological Society of Hungary was established as early as in 1849.
At the spring of 2005, the Association had a total membership of 697. The membership statistics between 1954 and 1995 reflects changes in the geophysical activity in Hungary. There is an almost uninterrupted increase till the end of the 1970s. The about 200 Hungarian geophysicists missing from the membership in 1956 and 1957 could be found all over the world, but outside Hungary. In the 1980s the membership fluctuated around 750, in the 1990s the decrease shows the trend of geophysical research and exploration.
The Association played a distinguished role in establishing connections between the geophysical societies and communities in Central and Eastern Europe, then it was the pioneer in turning towards the Western associations.
Since its inception, the Association has always attached great importance to international relations. The first manifestation of this was in 1955, with the geomagnetic conference held in Budapest and Tihany (at the Lake Balaton where Eötvös Loránd Geophysical Institute - ELGI has its geomagnetic observatory).
The main topic of the international scientific conferences in the following years almost always focused on the regional geophysics of the Carpathian Basin. The increasing number of domestic and foreign attendees eventually led to the decision to make the symposia international. As a result, the first symposium abroad was held in 1967. Later, symposia were held in many of the neighbouring countries; the symposium held abroad in 1991 was not followed by further events. The proceedings of the various symposia have always been very popular — and not only with the participants.
Paving the way to the international theatre
In addition to the symposia the Association gradually made steps toward the west. In 1980 the 7th Annual Meeting of the European Geophysical Society and the 17th General Assembly of the European Seismological Commission were held in Budapest, at the Budapest Technical University. The Hungarian astronaut, Bertalan Farkas, gave a talk at the EGS–ESC meeting.
The next step was the 47th Annual Meeting of the EAEG in 1985. Do you remember the 1985 EAEG meeting “behind the iron curtain”? The exhibition in the Vigadó (Redout) and in front of it; the gala dinner in the National Gallery? There were, of course, oral and poster presentations, too.
This Meeting was followed by the SPWLA 13th European Symposium in 1990.
the near past: the 1997 Winter Workshop of the EAGE – MT ’97 – was
HUNGARIAN OFFICERS IN EAEG, EAPG AND EAGE
EAEG Council members
1983 – 1987 Oszkár ÁDÁM
1987 – 1991 Károly MOLNÁR
1991 – 1996 Tamás BODOKY (president in 1994)
Committee on Publication members
1984 – 1990 Éva SZABÓ- KILÉNYI
1990 – Zsuzsanna HEGYBÍRÓ
Associate Editors 1994 – Mihály DOBRÓKA
EAEG Technical Programme Committee
1995 – László VERÕ
Technical Programme Officer 1996 László VERÕ
EAPG Technical Programme Committee: 1991 - Ferenc HORVÁTH
National Correspondents: 1991 - György POGÁCSÁS
Advisory Council 1991 - György POGÁCSÁS